Senior Software Engineer
COPIOUS is a great team of very talented folks based in Portland, OR that takes a craftsmanship approach to creating interactive products. We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help us deliver integrated apps to our hand-picked list of regional and national clients.
COPIOUS is a user-centered digital experience agency. We're not your typical digital agency — we’re a hybrid group of passionate problem solvers. The COPIOUS team resembles a consumer product-focused technology startup. Our team comes from digital agencies, startups, and software companies and we highly value this set of backgrounds and experiences. It makes our team stronger and our work better, which is why we have a reputation for delivering innovative digital solutions.
Our vision is always forward and upward — we're committed to being a top national boutique firm where clients bring their most technical, most complex, risky or game changing challenges. Each day we take ground toward that goal. If you're looking for a place where you're not bound by what you've done or your title — but by what you're willing to take on — then you're in the right place.
Oh and by the way, all the really juicy work we’re most excited about we can't show on our website. Its the work that really shows our chops. That work will be surfacing in the coming months, so don't be deterred by what you see or don't see now. We're working on complex Ecommerce, native mobile apps for healthcare, innovative responsive web apps, large content driven experiences — the list goes on, but that gives you a taste.
- Words people use to describe us: passionate, honest, trustworthy, bold, innovative
- We love a good challenge. Throw us a meaty problem, opportunity or goal and let us dig in, we work with our clients so we get to truly partner with them
- We build solutions — we don't build widgets
- We solve complex problems through digital strategy, user-centered UX and building software
- We build complex software and optimize it for web scale usage
- We simplify the complex through innovation, design thinking and technology
- We don't always tell our clients yes. You'll hear open and honest communication through the internal team and through to our clients
- We're committed to always learning — personally, across teams and disciplines and as an entire company. We're always looking for ways to do what we do better, building higher-caliber experiences with less friction
Our physical space tells you more about what it's like to be on the team
- We work in an open collaborative space, with high ceilings and lots of natural light
- Our office has a beer on tap, coffee is always brewing and you can make yourself an espresso with the touch of a button
- The fridges (yes plural) and shelves are stocked with snacks, fresh fruit and drinks
- We have tons of breakout rooms with whiteboards — that's where the best ideas often develop
- Need a break? We have lounge areas, a roof deck, a workout room, shuffleboard, ping-pong and darts
- We're within a 3 block radius of over 50 food carts. Don't worry, we'll tell you our favorites.
Ideally, you are someone with:
- At least five years proven experience building awesome applications
- Experience working with scalable, low latency system architectures
- Ability to work in an agile team, focused on one or two products at a time
- Ability to quickly pick up new technologies and incorporate them into production software
- An appreciation for solid approaches to backups, security, and performance
- Attention to detail and pride in your work
- Full-time ability to work with us here at our Portland office. If you’re not here yet, we invite you to relocate!
How you think about software is more important to us than what specific technologies you’ve worked with.
So, how do you fit in?
We’re looking for a self-starter with the ability to take on a range of complex challenges, initially focused on highly scalable e-commerce systems. Typically, you’ll start-off with a daily stand-up meeting to get a feel for what’s in the pipeline and what others on the team are working on. Then it’s a mix of extended blocks of development time, helping a fellow developer solve a nasty bug. Maybe you’ll write a post for our company blog. We set agendas for meetings. We thrive on collaboration, so there’s ample opportunity to walk a few feet to chat with the designer or roll over to the strategist to discuss functionality. If you’ve got your headphones on, though, we won’t interrupt you unless it’s an emergency.
How to Apply
If you think you’re a great fit, send us an email. Show us your GitHub repos, some code you’ve created and maybe some links to live websites running code you’ve written. Tell us about a technology you’ve been playing with that has you excited. Let us know what you like and dislike about one of your favorite frameworks.
Click here to view other opportunities.