Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
COPIOUS is a great team of very talented folks based in Portland, OR that takes a craftsmanship approach to creating interactive products. We are looking for a Ruby on Rails Developer with the ability to take on a range of complex and intriguing challenges and can develop everything from highly scalable websites, to mobile and social networks, to large-scale data management and processing.
COPIOUS is a user-centered digital experience agency. We're not your typical digital agency — we’re a hybrid group of passionate problem solvers. The COPIOUS team resembles a consumer product-focused technology startup. Our team comes from digital agencies, startups, and software companies and we highly value this set of backgrounds and experiences. It makes our team stronger and our work better, which is why we have a reputation for delivering innovative digital solutions.
Our vision is always forward and upward — we're committed to being a top national boutique firm where clients bring their most technical, most complex, risky or game changing challenges. Each day we take ground toward that goal. If you're looking for a place where you're not bound by what you've done or your title — but by what you're willing to take on — then you're in the right place.
Oh and by the way, all the really juicy work we’re most excited about we can't show on our website. Its the work that really shows our chops. That work will be surfacing in the coming months, so don't be deterred by what you see or don't see now. We're working on complex Ecommerce, native mobile apps for healthcare, innovative responsive web apps, large content driven experiences — the list goes on, but that gives you a taste.
- Words people use to describe us: passionate, honest, trustworthy, bold, innovative
- We love a good challenge. Throw us a meaty problem, opportunity or goal and let us dig in, we work with our clients so we get to truly partner with them
- We build solutions — we don't build widgets
- We solve complex problems through digital strategy, user-centered UX and building software
- We build complex software and optimize it for web scale usage
- We simplify the complex through innovation, design thinking and technology
- We don't always tell our clients yes. You'll hear open and honest communication through the internal team and through to our clients
- We're committed to always learning — personally, across teams and disciplines and as an entire company. We're always looking for ways to do what we do better, building higher-caliber experiences with less friction
Our physical space tells you more about what it's like to be on the team
- We work in an open collaborative space, with high ceilings and lots of natural light
- Our office has a beer on tap, coffee is always brewing and you can make yourself an espresso with the touch of a button
- The fridges (yes plural) and shelves are stocked with snacks, fresh fruit and drinks
- We have tons of breakout rooms with whiteboards — that's where the best ideas often develop
- Need a break? We have lounge areas, a roof deck, a workout room, shuffleboard, ping-pong and darts
- We're within a 3 block radius of over 50 food carts. Don't worry, we'll tell you our favorites.
So, how do you fit in? We’re looking for a self-starter with the ability to take on a range of complex and intriguing challenges — developing everything from highly scalable websites, to mobile and social networks, to large-scale data management and processing. This isn’t a job for rookies, you have to have “been-there and done-that” a few times to make the cut.
What’s the day to day like? Well it certainly doesn’t involve sitting through mindless meetings all day. Typically, you’ll start-off with a daily stand-up meeting to get a feel for what’s in the pipeline. Then it’s a mix of extended blocks of interruption-free development time, helping a fellow dev solve a nasty bug, and the occasional fire fighting. We thrive on collaboration, so there’s ample opportunity to walk a few feet to the left to chat with the designer or roll over to the strategist to discuss functionality.
- 2 years proven experience building awesome web apps using ruby, rails, and merb
- Experience building scalable, low latency system architectures
- Experience implementing development best practice methodologies and design patterns
- Ability to work in a flexible manner, building prototypes and evolving them into scalable production-quality systems
- Ability to quickly pick up new technologies and incorporate them into production software
- An analytic mindset
- An appreciation for solid approaches to backups, security, and performance
How to Apply
If you think you’re a great fit, get in touch. Show us your GitHub repos, code you’ve created and/or live websites running code you’ve written. Sending a resume is “okay”, but we prefer to see what you’ve accomplished and to hear what gets you up in the morning.
Click here to view other opportunities.